Smoke is responsible for much of the property loss associated with fires. For this reason, a survey performed by a fire damage professional is essential for determining how much damage has been caused by smoke, heat, fire and moisture. According to fire restoration professionals, parts of a building that seem untouched by fire can still present a hazard to occupants. Damage and unpleasant odors may be hidden within a building due to smoke penetration. To determine the extent of damage caused by fire and smoke, an experienced fire restoration company should be contacted quickly after any fire.
Here are a few facts about smoke to consider:
- Holes surrounding a building's plumbing network act as pathways for smoke.
- Upper floors and cooler parts of a building are consumed by hot smoke because of its temperature.
- Fire damage restoration techniques are selected based on the type of smoke involved in the damage.
Smoke Damage Types
Upon arrival at the scene of a fire, a professional from RAW Services Inc. performs testing on soot to find out what type of smoke damage has taken place. Once this pretesting is complete, cleaning procedures can be chosen according to the findings.
Soot comes in the following forms:
- Dry smoke residue: Powdery, dry, small and non-smearing particles resulting from fires that burn quickly at high heat
- Wet smoke residue: Smearing, sticky and strong-smelling particles caused by fires that smolder at low temperatures, resulting in smoke webs that may be challenging to remove
- Fuel oil soot: Dispersed by puff backs from furnaces
- Protein residue: Extremely strong-smelling, but practically invisible residue that can ruin the color of varnish or paint
Overview of Inspection and Pretesting Process
RAW Services Inc. professionals perform pretesting while they inspect fire-damaged properties in order to find out how much damage has occurred and measure the need for cleaning services, restoration and repair work.
- The full scope of damage due to smoke and fire: What materials have been damaged by fire or smoke? What cleaning methods should be employed? Is it necessary to move your personal possessions until restoration is complete? These and other important choices must be made in this situation.
- Untouched areas: If some parts of your home were not damaged by the fire, it's essential to protect those areas before they are damaged by soot and unpleasant smells. This will actually save you money in the long term.
- Which materials call for replacement, and which can undergo restoration? Is it possible to clean away the smoke residues that are present? If some possessions are too badly damaged to be restored, is someone making an inventory of those items? The pretesting phase of fire damage restoration is extremely important. You'll have a much better idea of what to expect during restoration once you have a full inventory of ruined possessions and an estimate of cleanup requirements.
- The most appropriate methods of cleaning your home: Which techniques should be employed by the professionals to restore damaged parts of the home?
After pretesting is complete, RAW Services Inc. can start focusing on saving the possessions you value most. Throughout the restoration process, professionals from RAW Services Inc. will keep you involved and make sure that you understand what is happening. Your home will receive a professional level of restoration for the very best results.